Isn’t it crazy how something you used to hate can turn into something you love? I used to dread the shortening days and cooler nights of fall, so much. But being prepared with my cold weather wardrobe has made all the difference in how I welcome in the fall season. Having my staple fall pieces that are cozy but not frumpy sparks excitement in me about all the opportunities fall brings. And don’t worry, you don’t have to throw out your old wardrobe for something totally new, please don’t. I’m sharing the five pieces I’m always reaching for in my fall closet so that I'm never stuck feeling like I have nothing to wear this season. Here we go:
1. Tuck-able long sleeve tee. In the midwest, especially during transitional seasons, it’s all about layers. That’s why I love my layering tees. I usually stick to neutral colors like black and white. But layering tees can also be a great opportunity to put a bit of color into your wardrobe. This works best if you add color in tones that can be mixed and matched with the other pieces in your wardrobe. Colors like olive, rust, navy, burgundy, and pale pink are great colors that act as neutrals in your wardrobe.
2. Killer wide-leg pants. Wide-leg pants are perfect for the fall season. If you’re a fan of the cropped wide-leg silhouette like me, you know that there are so many more options for them before the snow starts to fly. They look great with booties, flats, sneakers, the list goes on! I think I could own a pair of comfy wide-leg pants in just about every color but currently I only own our David Pant in black and I can’t get enough of them.
3. Heeled bootie. One of my favorite fall outfits ever is pairing my cropped wide-leg pant with a heeled bootie. This combo lends itself to be the perfect base that you can elaborate on with any type of top. I like to have a little heel on my bootie so that I can wear it for occasions where I need to be a little more dressed up. In my opinion, a low, thicker heel can be just as comfy as a flat boot and it evaluates your look.
4. Classic pair of jeans. I like to keep it simple with my denim, especially in the fall when sweaters are the star of the show. A classic skinny jean can be paired with almost anything (including your favorite flats that only seem to work in the transitional seasons). Keeping your jeans simple means that you can have fun with your shoes and layers on the top creating interesting outfits that were effortless to throw together.
5. A great wrap. I’m using the term wrap loosely here to refer to any sweater, shawl, poncho, or cardigan that creates cozy layers. Something I look so forward to in the fall is snuggling into my layers on a crisp morning with the windows open as I sip my coffee (with pumpkin creamer) and mull over my next blog idea (while inhaling the scent of my pumpkin spice candle). I like to keep my wraps neutral so they can go with other pieces in my closet and create a myriad of outfits. I hope you’re starting to see that you don’t need a total closet overhaul to prepare your perfect fall wardrobe. A few, mindful pieces can go a long way.
Ready to figure out what pieces need to be in your closet this fall? Download my free guide on how to create your dream wardrobe.